Thursday, December 17, 2009

Do NOT mess with my sleep!

I was reading an article on Runners World the other day about how people find time in their busy lives to workout. I am a total sucker for articles like this because I often find myself in the mindset that I am too busy to do anything and then I read these articles and realize that my life is a piece of cake compared to these other people. For example, there was one woman who had four young children and worked full time and to get her runs in she would get up at 4:30 in the morning!! Isn’t that the



So I thought why can’t I get up at 5:30 in the morning to work out on those days when I have work and then school afterwards? Anybody who knows me knows that I love love loooooove to sleep in. In fact, I will outright YELL at you if you try to get me up earlier than I need to. I might even hit you. Who am I kidding? I would definitely hit you. Maybe even with brass knuckles.


So I immediately threw that idea out the window and decided that a much more reasonable strategy would be to stay up late and go for a run. The problem is next week staying up late to work out just isn’t an option. So I am entertaining the possibility of getting up early.


I have basically given up on the idea that I will be able to run on Christmas Eve or Christmas and the fact that I even thought about running on those days makes me think that I am quite possibly losing my mind.


Anywhoodle, I have decided that my goal is to work out at least 2 days next week. What with multiple birthday and Christmas parties I think it will be quite the challenge. AND to fulfill it I will HAVE to get my ass out of bed early one morning. Hopefully nobody will get hurt in the process.


In case you’re wondering why I am posting so much about my boring exercise routine it’s because I have found that it motivates me to keep at it when I blog about it. Basically I take motivation wherever I can find it and go with it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the summer, when it was daylight at 5 AM here in Oregon, I was getting up to work out at 5 every morning. It was hard for the first week, but after that it was an awesome way to wake up. Just had to make sure I went to bed at a good hour to get up the next morning.

I advocate it. Just be careful if you're out running before daylight! Good luck getting your workout in!

Anonymous said...

agreed. agreed. agreed.
sleep is so important and i too am not to be woken... most people close ot me learn that lesson once : )
and getting up early is the only way i can get a run/workout in too... i'm just too pooped to do it later in the day (which is why i don't really run or workout : )
and lastly i agree about the posting it on the blog thing. it definitely gives you some sense of accountability or something like that : )

stealthnerd said...

Haha I'm with you on the sleep thing. I've been known to kick and hit when woken up before I am ready to be awake!

Jay Ferris said...

Sleep is about the only thing I don't half-ass any more. I'm a fucking sleep PROFESSIONAL.

Bayjb said...

I cannot work out in the morning. I have to go later in the day because I need to do something after sitting around. Glad to hear you're going to make the workouts happen this week!

Andy said...

Story of my life when I try to cook. I ALWAYS mess up SOMEWHERE and thus, I completely ruin it...