Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Anorexia Pisses Me OFF

I feel like I am finally back in the swing of things. School is starting to really pick up and I have been working out almost every day. I ran a total of 15 miles over the weekend with a long run of 9 miles on Sunday, which felt really good even when it started raining when I only had 3 miles left. I am aiming for over 20 miles this week, which will be a record for me, but hopefully become a more regular occurrence.

On a related note I feel the need to say that this whole running thing I’ve got going on has nothing to do with me wanting to lose weight. I am really happy with my body right now. I went to a Postsecret event a couple weeks ago (which was fantastic) and was reminded, thanks to all the anorexic postcards, of some friends in college who were anorexic and my own unhealthy obsession with my weight, aka my weird idea that a size four wasn’t small enough. None of us ate healthy food or worked out – the whole focus was on how little we could eat. I lived on coffee and cereal.

I may have gained weight since my college days, but I’m so much healthier that it’s hard to be down about it. I think it is so important that we support each other and always remember that we’re all different. I remember in school once we were getting our fat percentage tested and the skinniest girl in the class had the highest percentage. Doesn’t that just scream at you that we as a society are focusing on the wrong things?! That we should be focusing on blood pressure, cholesterol, etc instead of what size jeans you fit into it?

I had a friend who was in and out of hospitals for anorexia so this is a very touchy subject for me. Not to mention that my high school nurse and I knew each other well thanks to the number of times that I was called into her office and forced to eat saltines and drink juice. I just have one final thought, which is that I feel 1,000 times better about myself when I finish 9 miles at a strong pace than I ever did when I put a bikini on and could count all my ribs. So, yeah, I’m going to get off my soapbox now. I hope everybody had a fabulous weekend!

6 comments:

ihaverun said...

Anorexia pisses me off too.

It is amazing how strong a good run can make you (me) feel! No matter what the scale says, I feel better about myself when I am running regularly.

Her (Elizabeth) said...

I've never really known anyone affected by anorexia, but based on my expert analysis of Lifetime movies (rrrright), it's so hard to deal with the real issues under all of that for people who are struggling through it.

Anonymous said...

First of all - sounds like you're rockin' the training thing, and that's awesome. :) 15 miles in one weekend is NOT EASY! You'll start to find that you actually pay closer attention to what you eat now (with higher mileage), as it WILL affect your runs and how you perform. Go you, for being healthy! :)

Secondly, thanks for putting this out there - not an easy thing to do!

Bayjb said...

Way to go on the running! I love the feeling you have after a great workout. So empowering and rewarding

Jay Ferris said...

So wait. Are you saying that there's some miracle diet out there where I can eat as much cereal and drink as much coffee as I want? Count me in!

Kate said...

Oh darlin'. I hear ya. I've never been a slender girl. My sister is petite and has always been "the skinny one." I used to sit next to her in the back seat of the car and wonder why my thighs took up so much more space than hers. But get this! I'm SIX FEET TALL! I should not be a size two. And I never will be.

With that said, I am determined to take up running. Of course, living in South Dakota - the land of ice and snow, I can't really get a good go at it right now, but I'm going to do it. Even if my goal is to run one whole mile.